Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Is it safe to let my child play with a wild racoon that is tame?

a racoon comes through the cat door into my kitchen and eats my cats food .....but


My wife has started to feed it and i caught her the other day touching it.......I told her to stop but she refuses because the raccoon bought her babies to visit her and she thinks that is Honorable that it trusts her so much ......Now my son is feeding it am i over reacting or can raccoons be nice and be mean the next day and will the raccoon be vicious towards my catIs it safe to let my child play with a wild racoon that is tame?
Wild racoons should not be fed by humans b/c they can become dependent on it. And also you may beable to feed and touch the racoon but really anything can set them off, and when they do attack they can do alot of harm. Not only that but what if the racoon is carrying rabies.Is it safe to let my child play with a wild racoon that is tame?
No they carry disease like rabies and things as annoying as this is you may have to buy a new cat door with a maginetic collar so then raccoon can't come in.
I think you contradicted yourself, if the raccoon is wild it cannot be tame.





if it is tame then it is no longer wild.





So if the answer is that it is wild but seems gentle then no way!!!


but if it is tame and you believe whole heartedly that it will not harm your child then no way either!!!





Raccoons carry a plethora of disease and will always revert back to its wild state of mind every once in a while dont take the chance keep your child safe!!
no way could bite finger off. and you will never forgive your self
i would not no way
Yes, racoons can be nice one day and mean the next especialy if she is bringing her babies, (not a sign of trust, she teaching her babies where to find free good food) tell you wife and daughter to not get close to the racoon when she eating at least and not to touch the babies too. My renters daughter, who was about 8-9 raised a racoon for a whole year it was nice and tame the whole time then one day it up and bit her hard too. And yes the racoon will be vicious to your cat. The racoon will see your cat a threat to the food and her babies. I would call a cop or game warden when your wife and kid are gone, then tell them that maybe the racoon moved her nest and wont be visiting any more. Aside from rabies, most wild animals have mites and parisites that you cat and family could catch. Espesialy since the racoon is sharing your cats food out of the same bowl
It's risky, but I've done similar.





It's a different matter in your case because you have a son. He's a kid and a kid doesn't have the maturity to evaluate whether the reward of fooling with that racoon is worth the risk of getting chewed up (raccoons do this well) or possibly catching rabies, and racoons are a reservior species for rabies. While the racoon's behavior doesn't suggest that it is infected, the racoon doesn't carry a sign that says ';I'm the friendly racoon'; so your kid wouldn't know if a cute racoon staggering through the back yard slobbering and jerking around is the friendly racoon or not.





Because you have a kid and pets, I'd say it's a lousy idea to encourage it. If she were only putting herself at risk that's her business. But she shouldn't put others or their pets at risk because it's fun to fool with the 'coon.
No - it is not. Not unless the animals has been raised with humans and declawed! Trust me, they can do a number on you so fast you wouldn't believe. I buddy of mine got over 100 stitches while removing one from a trap.
Raccoons are wild animals and can be very aggressive. Don't let it come into your house (it's not safe). Some of them carry diseases. Given a chance it will kill your cat; so be careful. Explain to your wife that by feeding the raccoon she is making it not afraid of humans and more likely to attack someone that angers it. She is also making it so the raccoon will be less likely to survive without human assistance. You should have animal control come and take it away; they will place it in back in the wild and away from people.
She may have been someone's pet. I would not be all that concerned, but agree if it is indeed wild, it would be better to not feed it. Animals can become very brave when it comes to food.





On the other side is the realization that people have raccoons for pets, as well as other species, those considered wild.





There is a high level of trust if the mother raccon trusts your wife and home enough to bring the babies in; either that or she thinks she owns the place. This behaviour is why I wonder if she was once a pet.


Like any animal, they can be mean if trapped, cornered, or feel threatened in any way. Just ask someone who has attempted to give a cat a dose of medicine. I seriously doubt there is any concern regarding deadly disease transmission, at least in the UK.


I would be cautious, and depending on your son's age explain the risk in full.


The best bet is to call local authorities if you want an opinion that is less emotionally charged than one you will get here. In addition, they may gladly trap and relocate the Raccon and her babies.


--That Cheeky Lad
i have no idea....definitely a weird situation....if it were up to me....the racoon would not be alowed in the house
I've read stories of this kind of thing happening before -- wild animals almost becoming pets, behaving very tame, and visiting on a regular basis.





I read this story about this guy in Canada who had this family of bears visit his house all the time, and there was never any problem.





I'd say it's okay, but proceed with caution. If the animals ever display any questionable behavior or ever (God forbid) attack you or your family or pets, call the local animal control.





If not, and the animals continue to visit your home without incident, call the local TV news station! They might be interested in a story like this!





.
I would be very careful with this, as raccoons can carry rabies and all sorts of other diseases, and parasites. Cats and raccoons rarely get along, and the cats are usually on the losing end. I can tell that your son is a ';Nature Child';, like I was, and he may have a special gift, or affinity with Nature, but tread this path cautiously.
I'd be careful of any wild animal, you never know how it will react or if its carrying a disease. Also it may get territorial and attack your cat.
Racoons are notorious for carrying rabies. Don't let her in your house or near your child! It's going to keep coming back since it's now being fed. Be careful!!
I don't think it's a good idea. You don't know what diseases it may be carrying.
although I would be cautious they have been known just to come and visit and never cause a problem . when we were younger my mother had one come up all the deck and patio of our home and my mother would feed it and it would come back several times a year . My mom had that thing so tame she would take food right out of my mom's hand . My mom is older now and so is the raccoon she comes back still to see my mom and still takes food from my mom;'s hand .It will break my mom's heart when that raccoon does not come to visit any more ,I would assume that it will pass on soon. good luck and god bless. Please be cautious but dont freak out .
Are you crazy man! It is an ANIMAL your son is a CHILD your wife is just FOOLISH. You are gambling with your sons future the potential for something going horribly wrong is very high.... I certainly would be discouraging ANY animals that were not my own from entering my house!

No comments:

Post a Comment