Friday, February 12, 2010

Once I catch a racoon or possum in my live trap, how far should I take it so it doesn't return?

I live in the country and don't want to kill anything.Once I catch a racoon or possum in my live trap, how far should I take it so it doesn't return?
Good luck, you are probably gonna be trapping for a long time. Both these animals have the ability to return to the home range if not displaced far enough. So be prepared to take a long drive.





Something else. Do NOT release any animal you capture on private property. I would suggest you don't get caught releasing it anywhere. All you are really doing is giving someone else your pest problem.





Raccoons can range over several miles. Have a home range from 2 to 4 square miles.


http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/UW033





Opossum are mostly nocturnal. Therefore range and home range are more compressed than those of the raccoon.


http://www.ngpc.state.ne.us/wildlife/opo鈥?/a>Once I catch a racoon or possum in my live trap, how far should I take it so it doesn't return?
Opossum, about half mile. Raccoon, about 7 states. Dont blame ya for not wanting to kill. We seldom do unless we intend to use it. Remember that any living creature is looking for something. Figure out what and take it away. Its almost always food. Then they will go elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment