Friday, February 12, 2010

My cat was attacked by a racoon. His foot is bloody, other puncture wounds on nose, tummy, tail. It is bad?

He is not eating or drinking anymore. He drank some tuna juice this morning and has peed (no blood) in the litter box. He does not feel good. I need suggestions for things I can do at home. I may have to go out of town if I can get a vet from another town to respond. My cat is making a terrible meowing sound and the vet on has not responded in about 2 hours. My cat was attacked by a racoon. His foot is bloody, other puncture wounds on nose, tummy, tail. It is bad?
First and foremost question: IS HE CURRENT IN HIS RABIES VACCINATION???


If he is, no need to worry big time. Yes, he still needs to be seen by a vet, in a timely manner.


If he is not current in his rabies vaccinations, then BIG TIME WORRY, yes! You need to take him to the vet YESTERDAY!!!That does not mean he's been infected, but there is a chance, because you don't know if the racoon who bit him had rabies.


So please take him to the nearest vet NOW!My cat was attacked by a racoon. His foot is bloody, other puncture wounds on nose, tummy, tail. It is bad?
Infections can set in fairly quickly. Your cat needs to see an emergency vet, to get antibiotic shots or vaccine updates asap and pain medication right away, don't let him sit around and suffer. We should treat our animals the same as our children where medical issues are concerned...you would not want to be made to lie around and suffer, you would want to go to the ER right away wouldn't you?
Obviously, he needs emergency vet care. If you have a vet, take the cat to him, don't wait for a call back. Raccoons often kill cats in my area - they are cute, but vicious fighters. Your cat is bad off and may have internal injuries. Get to the emergency clinic now!
He's obviously in a lot of pain. Raccoons don't just attack. They usually run unless they have rabies. Call the authorities and report this now. That raccoon needs to be caught and tested.





TX Mom



WHy in heavens name would an owner not take the poor cat to get treatment IMMEDIATELY is it bad well yes if what you have described is true for goodness sake get it to a vet NOW!!!
Take him to the vet ASAP..


Racoons sometimes have Rabies and other


diseases that can be passed on to dogs %26amp; cats.


You might give him some antibiotics.
Well it is bad uh don't touch it and try to get pet medication a cream to put on the cuts and yes go to another vet!
YES, take him to the vet right now - he may need stitches and more importiantly RABBIES!!!
If it doesn't eat it will starve. Take it to the vet right away! This sounds really serious.
It sounds bad enough that I would take him/her to the vet
As I said before, it's pretty much impossible to evaluate the severity of his wounds and treat them from home. I stand by my previous suggestions, which are copied and pasted below. Spamming this forum with the same question is not likely to yield you a home remedy for your cat.





I read your other question. Unfortunately, there isn't much that can be done at home to help him with the puncture wounds. Given that he is seemingly in pain, I would just continue to be persistent in trying to get in touch with the vet if I were you. Is there another vet in the general area? I know it would be a pain, but you may have to travel to have him seen. I had to drive about 50 miles one day to get an emergency handled, but it was well worth it for my cat to receive care. I think it's imperative that he receive treatment because based on your description in your last question, he is seemingly injured pretty badly. That he has stopped eating and drinking is not a good sign, and there could be some internal injuries that you're not seeing. I wish I could offer more suggestions, but there are just some things we can't take care of at home. Do call around to other vets and be a pest until someone responds to you. Sometimes the squeaky wheel really does get the grease. Call different vets about every half hour until you hear from someone, or look for an emergency clinic that may be in a surrounding city. In a worst case scenario, you could take him to a shelter to see if they can assist you. It's not what one would traditionally do, but at least they'll have someone on staff who might be able to help. I'm not suggesting that you leave him there, just see if they can help.

No comments:

Post a Comment