Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Can you get a racoon as a pet?

I was wondering if you could. Like my friends mom is a vet so she could check up on it. So I was wondering can you get a racoon as a pet?Can you get a racoon as a pet?
Yes you can (:


I have one as a pet


and they need lots of looking after


they are really sweet pets Can you get a racoon as a pet?
Actually it's adviced and illegal to get a pet raccon without a permit. I personally have owned one four about a month. She was rescued however and it was either let her die or take her in. I had her when she a few days old. She was so tiny. I had to bottle feed her every two hours! She grew up fast. I couldn't keep her though. It's to much money for my family. You see when getting a pet raccoon is HAS to be spayed/neutered. If it isn't it will attack/bite you most likely because they are more aggresive. Also when owning one you have to make sure it gets atleast one rabie shot and a check up making sure he/she is all good. Next step would to get your licence to keep the raccoon legally. If you don't you can be fined over $1000 dollars and maybe even more. After getting all that taken care of you also have to think about where and what you are going to feed it. You would have to build a huge pen outside so he/she can climb up and down and explore outside since its their normal habbitate. You would have to make sure it's safe and that there would be a nesting area for him/her to sleep. When feeding it do not feed it ANY and i mean ANY meat. I would feed it fruits and vegies and dog food.





It's a lot of dedication and time because you have to give it attention all the time and they are like kids. You have to love them and care for them as if it was a person. If you don't it will become aggressive.








Maybe just do some volunteer work and care for them when they're younger. Shelthers actually are full with them and aren't taking like anymore raccoons. It's actually smart and helpful to help out and care for them. I would rehab it and then release it back into the wild after it's on solids. That really is just what's best for them. They love their home now, unless it really needs to be rehomed then I'd let them live where they are now.





-Megan
Check to make sure it isn't illegal in your area. This is a commitment for the life of the animal if you do take one to be a pet, you can't just let it go if you get tired of it, because with you feeding it, it will have lost the wild instincts.





Here is a link for you to read.
well i was in spain on holidays and a family living in an apartment in the apartment block next to us had a pet racoon %26amp; they walked it on a lead :L
Yes. I knew a couple who had a raccoon as a pet, they said raccoons were very intelligent loving pets.
yes, I guess u can have a racoon as a pet. It would need some or a lot of training
My dads friend has a pet raccoon. He is a really cool pet.

No comments:

Post a Comment